Thursday, September 09, 2010

Tea Dyeing


In a small pan... bring to boil about 4 cups water.
Add 6-10 black tea bags (depending on color desired)
Cover - steep until dark - 15 to 20 minutes.

Place lace in a large bowl.
Mix 1/2 cup salt into the warm tea stirring well... the salt will set the stain.
Pour the mixture over lace making sure all is totally submerged.
Cover with a dishtowel to steep.

Let mixture stand until desired color.
If I want a darker color I will let it steep 2 or 3 hours, overnight even.

Drain tea mixture, pressing out excess water.   
Blot lace with bath towel being careful not to damage it.
I do not rinse unless I feel color is too dark.

Air dry.


New at ZiBagz 



... beautiful Etsy examples of tea staining...
 Shabby Rose Studio

Carol Forsyth 
Salvage Chick

Plum Fish 

 Seams Victorian

 ~*~

8 comments:

ECLECTICMIXUP said...

Great instructions! Thrilled to be included in oh so feminine examples! Thank you :)
Nice new designs, especially like the first one, perfect fall colors.

koralee said...

Oh I so love to tea dye...your work is amazing!! The first bag is my favourite.

Thanks for visiting me..hugs for a great weekend. xoxo

Anonymous said...

lisa
these are great instructions. I love tea dying too! Look at all your button work, hats off to sewing all those little guys on:) they do make the bags extra special.

andrea creates said...

I've been wondering how to best set the color. I've only ever tried tea staining once....but want to do some crochet trims.Thanks for sharing :)
Great looking cases!

Paris Rags Romance said...

Great post, I love tea stained pieces! Thanks for using my photo what an honor, hugs ,kimberly

lilgreenshop said...

Excellent instructions! Tea stained gives a gorgeous look.

Unknown said...

Hi!
My name is Megan and I am looking at tea staining for my textiles. I really love your bags and was wondering if I could get a name so that I could write a little more about you?
Thank you
Megan

susannablue said...

I am thinking these items are not washable then??